View Single Post
Old 2019-01-07, 22:25   Link #98
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
I checked out ANN's 1st impressions for Shield Hero.
Out of their 5 reviewers, only 2 gave it an OK score of 3 out of 5. (One of them reviews the LNs).

The other 3 disliked or hated it outright, mostly because of how the princess framed the MC.
One thing I notice about their reviewers is they let their socio-political views heavily influence their judgement of an anime, even if the anime didn't have any sort of views to begin with. And if said anime runs counter to those views, those are big grounds for them to hate it.

It was the same thing when they reviewed Death March - because Satou's companions were legally otherworld slaves they really bashed it hard (and other reasons, like hating Satou's characterization etc.)
I've heard they've been absurd for some time now, fallen straight down that one particular hole. And sure enough, as seems to happen with reviewers who go that way, their opinions appear to be in strong opposition to the overall public opinion.

I'll say though one thing they pointed out made me realize a stupid move on the adaptation. In order to cut time they cut out some major points from the book he was reading, which makes him look like a real jerk. In the LN and manga, the book specifically talks about the strengths of the different heroes and how those also lead to weaknesses, and it also talks about the princess and how she uses her feminine wiles to play the different heroes against one another for her own benefit. It's for this reason that Naofumi calls her a "b*tch", and it sets her apart from all the other women in the story, good and bad. But for some reason the animation staff cut the descriptions out leaving nothing but a nondescript picture of a woman. This certainly was a mistake since Myne and the princess in the book are the only women we see him interact with in the premier, so we get the impression that Naofumi is prone to judging women based on looks and dismissing pretty women for shallow reasons. Bad mistake there. Here's hoping that they find a way to fix this in later episodes though. And no, I'm pretty sure this author doesn't hate women and think that the behavior demonstrated by her is something that happens frequently; she's just special that way.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote