View Single Post
Old 2019-01-07, 20:08   Link #91
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Missing the point. Doesn't matter what the MC thinks as long as he's dense/neutral enough so you can project yourself onto him. And yes, that's by design.

And besides, both motivations aren't mutually exclusive.

Listen, if you've watched How Not to Summon a Demon Lord and you're convinced that's an example of slavery NOT being played as sexual fantasy then there's nothing left to discuss. You want to bury your head in the sand, that's up to you. Clearly nothing is going to convince you otherwise.
When did I say that one wasn't sexual fantasy? I was talking about this show. That's why before I talked about the handful of slavery series I'd seen being even more sexual than that one. That guy didn't mean to enslave anyone and he generally doesn't deliberately do stuff, but yeah in that one you'd have to be a fool to think he doesn't look at the girls in a sexual way or that that part of the show isn't for the sake of fantasy. This show is different, it's a guy choosing one of the likely very few slaves cheap enough for his wallet and only caring service-wise about whether she can kill things and whether this curse will guarantee her honesty and cooperation. I don't know how you got the impression that I thought HNTSADL wasn't extremely sexual.

Also, Felix, either the parts he showed "all" being "the cheapest" was a mistranslation or a change to the script:
Spoiler:

And again, while I'd be in general agreement with your assessment of slavery being "cheap" in most series, again to me there are a lot of factors playing into it. As TV Tropes says, tropes aren't bad or good. In this case a slave girl is an obvious outcome of the hero's circumstance as well as a good demonstration of the state of the world. And no, there are more options for a slave than just the ones you listed. It's true that the curse makes it so she could be forced into slavery or made a tool, and anyone could become a pervert who's hiding their desires, but none of those seem likely or have any evidence suggesting they'll happen as of yet. Just like there's so far absolutely no evidence aside from general trends to suggest that this will go harem. I'd at least wait until he's got two girls close by that can be deemed viable romantic partners first.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote