View Single Post
Old 2019-01-07, 18:19   Link #82
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It may be I'm mixing novels with series in my head, but off the top of my head: from last year How not to summon a demon lord and Death March are literally slave harems. In goblin slayer the priestess is "raised" by the goblin slayer character, and the globins "raise" slave girls to reproduce (typically heroes), but I have no problem with the narative, it's solid regardless if people feel it's too edgy. In SOA I believe they have a "daughter" ingame at some point. In conception anime pretty sure it's a slave harem from what little I watched. Completely forgot what the smart phone one was even about. Overlord the main character literally just programs the females to be his slaves in episode 1.

Counter examples: Re:Zero (even tho I hate it) the main character doesn't really have any harem; the show does have contracted girls (the house loli, rem and ram) but they don't belong to main character so guess they doesnt count. Think restaurant in another world doesn't count... probably. Gate doesn't count probably. And pretty sure none of this crap is in Log Horizon if I remember right.

Hm. Maybe you're right and it's not very common in anime, or at least wasnt until last year when we got a lot of them.
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord is two girls, hardly a harem, and most of the slaves in Death March are never made love interests. GS doesn't have the hero "raise" the priestess, they just travel together as companions and he teaches her a few things because she's a novice. SAO does have an AI that chooses to become the hero and heroine's daughter, that much is true. Conception doesn't have any slaves at all, what it has is both sides placed in a very awkward position where the world's survival depends on them finding a way to feel at least a little affection for one another; an idea I thought would be really interesting but executed horribly. Smartphone all the girls act of their own accord, to the point where the hero really has the least say out of all of them. Overlord and the first two are pretty much the only ones where any sort of "slavery" even exists.

It's true that there are a handful of light novels where the hero from another world makes a harem of slaves, though most of them are too sexual to have much chance to get aired (like more than HNTSADL), but again there's a big difference between a hero enslaving a bunch of girls for the purpose of sexual or romantic pursuit and a hero enslaving a single person with no interest in anything besides her ability to use a weapon to kill enemies.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote