View Single Post
Old 2019-01-07, 15:33   Link #76
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hm. The director seems to have taken the material and slowed it down.

Fundamentally I feel that the framework is actually solid but the way it was used in the source was just poor. If this is going where I think it's going with "creative liberties" then it should actually be a pretty good adaptation. Like others have mentioned the concept and characters are the best part. I'll also add that the world isn't too shabby either. The plot is just not very imaginative in it's presentation, though it does have plenty of good ideas.

As for the other details...

Everyone seems to be talking about the rape accusation. Personally more annoyed by the NTR event that happened.

Secondly, there's the slave thing.

Let me just start by saying I honestly am completely insensitive to it in fiction after so many series used it.
So don't really care too much if slaves are in a series or not so don't take what I say as being overly negative,
That said, I do have some shit to say about it.

For one, is Slave Girl Harem and "raising (easily impressionable) girls" now just a characteristic of Isekai?

Because it is very very damn common (either one, the other or both). I'm almost surprised when it's not there now. If it's not in the hero party it's something like enemies abusing them like in GS or some kind of psedo slavery though contracts, breeding or "permanent service" (ie. how maids are treated in anime).

I find this annoying because this is one of the big reasons in my opinion why isekai tend to have such trashy plot. If not THE biggest reason. Lets just put aside the obvious hentai tease of it all, that's whatever, the biggest problem is that if you have 3-5 of these slave girls you've already bloated the roster, so cant have more characters or have problems when you add more characters. Add to that the fact that they by definition can not have character development in these stories with out the main character "guiding them" and you end up in a situation where you don't have some healthy story with 6-7 characters getting developed, you have 1 character and his 6 female slave appendages. That's just too weak cast wise!

In many of these the slew of slaves also makes for boring dialog since it's generally used just for the purpose of making the main character "look smart" by placing a lot of big-boobed legal-age children around him. And I kind don't want to call them foils because even a foil would have their own unique personality traits, which in a lot of cases the slave girls don't. It's really mostly like watching the main character talking with a sock puppet or two (only the sock puppets have boobs and a vigina).

I don't want to come off too negative since there are cases where they work fine. In "That time I got reincarnated as a sword" the focus is mostly on the girl, and the main character is more like a interactive narrator, so there it works, even though she's a slave and they do the "master" thing (which people with taste translated to Sword-sensei so as to make it less shitty).

And as for why it fails here in particular: (1) he chose her (2) she's clearly weak as shit (3) it's very clear why she's written/designed as is. Tasteful ways this could have been handled: he's forced into a contract, he becomes her slave, he chooses some other useful dude but encounters problems, she has the exact looks of some girl that was kind to him in the past, she's sold to him as a boy, she's actually super ugly, et cetera. Also he has to immediately breaks the slave seal or breaks it after a day or two to get out of creep-land. Really, so many other ways, but it always the weak "this here is totally not my sex slave, she's my lewd daughter that's totally not sexually attracted to me, that's all!" plot.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was not too bad, but I have quite a few problems with the first episode.
All your problems are not shortcomings of the series. They're covered later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think the only thing for me is how crazy fast the MC goes into the dark. But who am I to judge when I haven't been teleported to another world, kicked around for having a shield, and being framed for rape. Maybe a person really would go from being fairly reasonable to not being willing to trust a single soul.
He was pretty gray zone kind of guy in the real world bits so I think the "goody goody" parts were an act (which is not surprising given his circumstances and the "pretty girl" going with him around). Basically what you saw was him in dating mode. The dark parts I interpreted as just the pissed off version of his normal self from earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Also...do none of these people have games with tank characters? Did they manage to pluck people from different versions of Japan that just never figured out how a person who can take a hit is valuable to a fighting force? Who does the archer guy think is going to keep the front lines busy so he can fire at the enemy safely?
I've seen this mentioned a lot. I think the answer is very simple, it's closer to a mobile game then normal mmo. If I were to push it, maybe I'd say it's more like a turn based SRPG, but that doesn't make sense of course since it's a mmo.

Personally I kind of see all MMO-ish anime the same. Think most authors who attempt them are more familiar with the mobile mmo genre (given how popular it is in jp) and less familiar with the desktop version, but lean on the desktop version because it's just easier for the narrative (VRMMOs, mana, bosses etc).

Tanks are actually among the weaker classes in mobile games. If it's not hard content nobody likes them.

Last edited by felix; 2019-01-07 at 15:45.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote