View Single Post
Old 2019-01-06, 23:09   Link #66
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
I understand it is also the first modern isekai whose original WN was fully fantranslated into English, which also gained it a lot of Western readers of that age.

I think the slave waifu trend started with the ongoing WN series Isekai Meikyuu De Dorei Harem wo/Slave Harem in the Otherworld Labyrinth, which started in April 2011 (Shield Hero's WN started in Oct 2012, so there's a possibility Meikyuu may have influenced aspiring WN authors in Japan from that point).

Ironically, most of Meikyuu is about dungeon crawling and leveling, and the slave harem stuff was more SOL interactions and sweet consensual stuff IIRC.
It may not have been the absolute first to run with all those themes but it was the first to be a breakout hit and became a template for a lot of later stories.

My problem with it, apart from how cringy and pointlessly stupid a lot of the "problems" were, is that times of adversity are when heroes are supposed to show their character and Shield Hero folds like a wet paper bag instead.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote