View Single Post
Old 2019-01-06, 20:31   Link #65
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
It's also the first modern isekai a lot of people at that age had read which helps bolster it's popluarity.
I understand it is also the first modern isekai whose original WN was fully fantranslated into English, which also gained it a lot of Western readers of that age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I would say story is indeed that bad and you are also right it's one of most hyped show of season. That's not mutually exclusive.

Tate Yuusha was pretty much first Isekai that used this outcast underdog narrative, evil backstabbing royalty incompetent/evil heroes and slave waifus. Teenagers loved it so it set one of most commonly used templates when it come to webnovels ever since.
I think the slave waifu trend started with the ongoing WN series Isekai Meikyuu De Dorei Harem wo/Slave Harem in the Otherworld Labyrinth, which started in April 2011 (Shield Hero's WN started in Oct 2012, so there's a possibility Meikyuu may have influenced aspiring WN authors in Japan from that point).

Ironically, most of Meikyuu is about dungeon crawling and leveling, and the slave harem stuff was more SOL interactions and sweet consensual stuff IIRC.

Last edited by zztop; 2019-01-06 at 20:47.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote