View Single Post
Old 2019-01-06, 12:28   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was not too bad, but I have quite a few problems with the first episode.

The three other heroes act like being summoned to another world is something completely mundane and immediately get on their high horse and start asking for rewards. Well, asking for a reward is fair, but they really came across as dicks for no reason, and it doesn't make sense they wouldn't be at least a little surprised and disoriented.

The heroes all come from different parallel worlds, but of course they're all Japanese. Given that their weapons automatically translate for them, introducing a foreigner wouldn't have been a problem. I'll give the story the benefit of the doubt for now, maybe the fact they came from different worlds is very important to the plot and it's obviously easier to highlight if they're all from the same country. Given that they skipped them talking about the differences between their worlds though, I'm not very hopeful.

The Kingdom is a matriarchy, but the ruler is male. Not saying that never happens, but a Queen would have made more sense, and it's not like it would have changed much. I'm aware it's a minor thing, but world building is important.

Then there's the claim of an attempted rape. No trial or anything, if Naofumi hadn't been a hero, his head would have rolled on the spot. I assume the author mentioned the society is a matriarchy in an effort to make it more believable, but he should have put in more effort than that. Nobody was even willing to listen to his side of the story, and that was before they even produced the "evidence" (and completely ignored the rest like him being robbed and not being drunk/reeking of alcohol like what Myne claimed). The whole scene was pretty ridiculous. And the implications this has are pretty terrifying. If a hero gets treated that way, what about an ordinary man? It feels like any woman in that world can claim a man attempted to rape her in order to get him executed. The whole thing was poorly done. I suppose the King is in on it for whatever reason, but I doubt the other heroes save for Spear hero are, yet they were reacting just like the others. But maybe this is criticism of Japan's justice system and its ridiculously high conviction rate?

Oddly enough, the weapons guy could tell he was innocent unlike everybody else and even helped him because... he saw the look in his eyes? Sure, why not.

Well, that's about it. I did like the rest, for the record. It's a fairly typical RPG setting, but the shield upgrading system seems really interesting. The shield is more handy than it looks at first glance, since it can even do stuff like increasing the quality of materials.

Curious to see how the slavery aspect will be handled. Obviously Naofumi will choose the cute loli over a strong dude, but I wonder if there will be a solid reasoning behind it. I say this but I'd probably make the same choice