View Single Post
Old 2018-12-31, 15:57   Link #14
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I don't get why Serenade and others dislike this. Frankly I'd call that jumping the gun. Yes, it's a slow start but it establishes things fairly well. The other heroes view the world as a game and, regardless of their positions on "tanks", view the shield class specifically as a useless dead-end. Perhaps the shield is sort of like summoners in "How not to summon a demon lord": certainly powerful at first but development simply can't keep up with other classes past the early stages. Either way, since the others think of this as a game they maintain an inflated sense of individual importance and pretty much accept things that happen at face value. After all, who'd ever heard of a game where a cute heroine frames a useless mook for rape?

I'd say if I have any problems it's that 1: the show was unable to last long enough to really hook with the first double-ep (another ep or two and I think people's opinions may change), and 2: they didn't really explain some aspects well enough, though actions and behaviors did give a fair indication of the preexisting conceptions of the Shield. Also, they could have made Raphtalia (the tanuki girl at the slave market) look a little more emaciated. She's supposed to be half-starved and close to dying at the point when he finds her.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2018-12-31 at 17:10.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote