View Single Post
Old 2018-10-30, 21:36   Link #1717
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Last time I watched the series was back when it first aired. And what used to be a highly entertaining action show with mecha set pieces has now become a compelling character drama against a tumultuous political backdrop expressed through battles and conquest. Partly my lack thereof observation, the nuances of the character writing can nevertheless be lost easily to the theatrics of even the moment to moment progression

Kallen is one the more notable beneficiaries of this new lease on the show. The fiery temperament she directs at her enemies for her own goals is slowly all but supplanted by a reliance on a symbol. But far from the only reason she fights, her willpower is ironically always tied to someone or something else, helplessness overwhelming at the prospect of her anchors disappearing

Suzaku Kururugi. I don't hate this guy at all. He's a white knight in every sense of the word; upstanding, gallant, selfless, and pure. Too pure. The hypocrisy of his own actions is not lost on him as he continuously tries to justify what he's doing. But unable to accept the release of death, he eventually snaps and owns up to the contradiction of his life. Such is the tragedy of one who'd seek to light the abyss from within

Lelouch vi Britannia. Lelouch Lamperouge. Zero. His theatrics leave the series with a lasting impression, but his personality immortalizes his character. He possesses the megalomania of a villain but directed to selfless goals. He's ruthlessly brilliant at times, but saves his unbridled wrath for those who earn his scorn. He's never desensitized to the blood on his hands to the point he becomes compromised. Lelouch, in essence, has the personality of a villain but the moral center of a hero. All hail

Let's talk about the elephant in the room, R2. I like R2. Not as much as season 1, but the difference is small. The main thing holding back R2 is its heavy dive into the supernatural, becoming incredibly esoteric and at odds tonally and contextually with the rest of the series. It presumably happens for C2's development, but the bits and pieces gathered from flashbacks and dialog from other characters is enough to form an idea of her backstory. These parts of the show are at least graciously short, and the finale with Lelouch gaining the Dual Mangekyou Geass is a cathartic moment for his character

Some of the smaller things about R2. Jeremiah suddenly treating Lelouch as if he didn't have a grudge against him at all when he found out he was Marianne's son. Rolo deciding to let Lelouch go after the latter just held him at gun point. Lelouch and the Shinkirou swooping in from above to shield Shinke and the Shen-hu when there's no other way out the cave without any indication Lelouch flew past the entrance again. And the superfluousness of the Knight of 1 and Knight of 10, who exist to lose to Suzaku and Kallen respectively, and the Knights of the Round in general

Oh, and let's close this off with the Knightmares themselves. I love how they reflect the personality of their pilots. The nimble and defensive Lancelot, the frantic and offensive power of the Guren MkII, the towering humanoid fortress called the Gawain/Shinkirou, the no-nonsense straightforward Mordred, the transformative and flashy Tristan, the black and white accents aligning the muscular Galahad, the unhinged movements of the Siegfried. I love it when a mecha isn't just distinct, but reflective of the pilot inside (my favorite Knightmare, btw, is the simple, straightforward but distinguished Zangetsu)

Man this show is awesome. Also Pizza Hut
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote