View Single Post
Old 2006-07-25, 19:14   Link #37
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBlue
One thing the anime didn't portray is the passage of time. Shion has been hiding for weeks. The baseball practice itself is only on Sundays. So, I believe it was 3+ weeks where Shion didn't see Satoshi at all. She was very surprised of how much he changed when she saw him at school. And regardless of Mion's warning to leave him alone for now, Shion couldn't hold her feelings back. So she was extremely shocked when Satoshi acted cold towards her. Initially, Shion didn't have any intentions to harm Satoko, but when Satoko started crying out for Ni-ni
Shion just snap taking out all her frustration that's been building over the weeks onto her.
Another thing the anime doesn't do very well (or avoided doing) is the portrayal of the characters' emotions (besides the "i'm-gonna-try-to-look-scary-at-every-chance-I-get" anger). Besides the lack of Shion's monologues, which would've provided a view into her mental workings and explain how she came to reach the conclusions she did (rather than "suddenly" blowing up on Satoko, and "suddenly" wishing for Satako and her aunt to die, etc.), the anime also avoided "tear scenes". To be honest, there were actually a lot of cryings in the story, but so far, I think Satoko's crying in front of Irie's clinic in the final Tatarigoroshi-hen episode was the only normal crying scene they did so far.

These scenes are quite important because they provide you with critical insights on how the character is feeling at the time. When Shion finally got to see Satoshi again at Hinamizawa's school (after weeks of seperation, like LostBlue said), she was crushed when Satoshi treated her coldly. Shion was crying and begging him to tell her what's going on, but even then, Satoshi completely rejected her. And when Satoko began crying later, that sadness turned into pure anger directed at her.

Wouldn't the episode have a much larger impact if it was done that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBlue
Another thing I wished the anime should have done is kept Shion's monologue here... Shion had her survival instincts kick in while having this talk with Rena. Shion's instincts told her never to cross paths with Rena. Yea, Rena scared the crap out of her. Also just for time reference, Rena just moved back at this time.
Spoiler: