View Single Post
Old 2018-09-18, 11:39   Link #13
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Except Rod Reiss spent a good portion of the last two episodes trying to convince his estranged daughter to turn into a titan to then eat Eren. Before that he had his eldest daughter take on that responsibility. Why didn't he just do it himself? Why force such a responsibility on his children? Everything about Rod Reiss screamed a desperate coward. He only took the serum after Historia called him on his BS, and took matters into her own hands, and completely rebelled against him. And he even made that decision out of desperation. There's been nothing grand about him or his actions thus far.

Historia on the other hand figured out her fathers BS, and decided to fight against him. She's turned from a character who has things happen to her, to one who decides her own fate. She's been pretty grand. These episodes were really about Historia and Eren, Rod Reiss just helped answer some questions.
What should have been one of the scariest situations in the history of the show was little more than a Historia music video and I gotta say...It was incredibly underwhelming given the expectations and thematic build up that occurred prior. You can say Rod Reiss is a nothing/nobody until the keypad stops working...That's not how the anime presented his situation...

For him to go out as a half-faced, turkey-looking blob of nothing that added literally nothing somewhat betrays how we've been taught to watch this show imo (more on that in the next passage)...All the atmospheric tension and mystery surrounding why Reiss is heading to Ovrud District along with highlighting Irwin's strategizing the situation, all to beat, ultimately, just a weak a$$ abnormal ??? Ugh ...

Quote:
Looking past Eren and Historia's character development and Rod's desperation/cowardice, one of the reasons why the titan fight felt so anticlimactic could be because this arc in general isn't even about humans vs titans anymore and that the enemies are now other humans.

It could be that the titan fight was purposely handled this way so as to not distract from the present direction the story wants to/is trying to go in. Basically, the fight was purposely underwhelming to signify the tonal shift of the plot. Either that or I'm just overthinking this.
I don't think you are wrong here..I think you're right...

Can't speak for the manga, but the way this televised product has always been presented--prior to this season--is more like LOST or The Leftovers where "not easily giving answers" is essential to the build up of the show and world...We've had 2 seasons and OVA's (and super important commercial bumpers) that have taught us as viewers how we should think about certain info that's given..

This season they're trying to flip this...By giving us so many answers this season (and I would say somewhat inorganically) they've contradicted some of their show-build and its creating things like this where they still want the cliffhanger appeal that has made the show so epic, but at the same time shift the show's tone down against that...Its been done too quickly imo (Historia light-switching not egregious, but its there imo), but sometimes thats what anime has to do to keep up...

I'd say this season it has been hit-or-miss in this area...Given the 8,000 "answers" that have been stuffed down our throats like a bottle of liquid armor serum--it has to be tough to do that and still keep the show within its established margins...