View Single Post
Old 2018-09-11, 12:52   Link #11
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

There was no other way around it. As I already stated, Eren's world was completely upside down, because everything on the surface level pointed out how his father was the reason why the world is crashing and burning.

It could only be Historia and other characters to think outside of the box. If Eren could immediately deduce his father didn't do that for shit and giggles, his role would overlap with Hange, Armin and/or Historia. There is no way someone as emotional as Eren would be able to clearly see the problem of his self sacrifice there. His worth is exactly there thanks to the other characters.

Eren always needed other characters to shine in time of hardship. This might sound overly dependant for what he can do, but that always have been his narrative role by default. In fact, that was merely a slap to the face. I don't see how he "regressed" considering his devotion is still there, and still thought about this plan "for the greater good". Contrary to his breakdown with Historia, the reason why he wanted to sacrifice himself was how it looked like the best solution for humanity while keeping the possible number of casualties at the strict minimum considering Reiss' titan is twice as big as the colossal titan.

Eren didn't have time to think this through. But once everyone talked about this, he could regain his composure and realize his wrong assumptions about his father. As usual, Eren is willing to listen and think about what other characters have to say.

Eren was always the action guy, not the one devising plan or seeing through lies and stuff like that. That doesn't mean he is a moron or anything considering what he did before. But this very specific issue was too personal for him to even realize the underlying problem with his train of thought. As I said, that struck him way harder than ANY other revelation until now.