View Single Post
Old 2018-09-10, 14:56   Link #5
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
^ I completely disagree. If anything, this arc defined Eren's human nature. While he wasn't described as a blind/enraged avenger, Eren wasn't particularly shown under a good light because he couldn't really do anything as of late, notably the losses after he was abducted by Reiner and Berthold. Eren believes he screwed up and the scouts paid a hefty price already.

If anything, his existential crisis is quite consistent when it comes to his character.
The defining impetus Eren had was to free humanity from the shackles of the walls and titans alike. Once he got the power of the titans, he realized he could make the difference in the conflict where so many people died in vain. That's the very reason Levi's squad death shook him to the very core, because he -didn't do what he could have done-, leaving him with many regrets as result.

What does this truth mean to him? That not only he killed his father, but he thought he is the very reason why humanity couldn't stop the titans.
Even if you consider the whole issue with Fritz preventing the founder titan person to use its power if they are part of the Reiss bloodline, to Eren, this "could" be fixed in some fashion. However, the other way around doesn't seem possible to him: they don't know how he activated the coordinates power back then. And everything as of late pretty much proves a non Reiss would be no good for the founding titan power.

To Eren, he believes the founding titan power is the key of humanity survival. Knowing that his own existence is preventing the use of that power shattered his will to fight. And if it wasn't for his father intervention, Eren really thought the Reiss bloodline could have at least used the power of the titans to stop the tragedies. But since his father killed the Reiss children, it was all for naught.
There is something to that. There was nothing they could do against the initial attack, but if Frieda had lived, she could have used the Coordinate power to order the titans to get out and repair the walls. There wouldn't have been a famine, and maybe Armin's grandfather would still be alive.

(I don't think leaving to the Reisses is in any way a good idea, but still.)

Quote:
So really, Eren felt like he and his father were responsible of this whole mess. And when you consider the number of casualties because of that, it isn't surprising that someone like him would give up, especially if their raison d'être was to defend humanity.
That's also why Eren was nicknamed "that suicidal idiot", because Eren is very dedicated to his mission. If anything, I dare say only top brass like Erwin and Pixis could be even remotely close to Eren's devotion towards Humanity at large.
Their resolve is very different, though. Mature, thoughtful, calculated, whereas Eren still runs on hot blood.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote