Thread: Japanese Events
View Single Post
Old 2018-07-15, 22:03   Link #48
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Kurashiki, Japan (July 16, 2018): When the most torrential rain was falling on Mabi town in Kurashiki, Hiroshi Nomura was sitting in his car on a hill, live streaming the football World Cup.

He and his family had received an emergency alert that evening warning them of potential flooding. They chose not to evacuate, but Hiroshi decided to save the car; if anything happened he knew they would need it.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, as he sheltered in safety, the rains came harder than this part of Japan had seen in decades.

"The morning came and I didn't get any messages from my parents so I tried to walk back again to my house but then I could see only the roofs of the houses," the 31-year-old said.

"It's not good to think like that, but seeing it, I tried to be prepared for the reality (of them being dead)."

Hiroshi had a small inflatable boat in his car, which he normally used to go fishing with his friends. Without a pump he raced to a nearby petrol station and forced air into his hobby vessel.

"After I got in the boat I went back to my house right away but there was an electric wire on the water in front of me and and I saw many things from the houses floating. It was very hard to get there. I had to navigate and avoid those obstacles," he said.

"When I got to my house I screamed out for my mother, but no one responded."

As he was about to smash a window to break into this house, his father managed to call him, saying that they had already been rescued, along with Hiroshi's grandparents.

He was relieved. But his rescue efforts were just beginning.

CHANNEL NEWSASIA
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote