View Single Post
Old 2018-01-10, 09:01   Link #69
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Dumb or not, it's pretty obvious group can't get to Antarctica without her. She has not more drive and knowledge (not to mentions money)
She has a million yen, or about ten thousand bucks. That's not a lot given the sort of trip she wants to make. It would cost that much for a one-person cruise ship trip around the coast of Antarctica, two or three heavily supervised landings on-shore for half a day each and a few close-up encounters with icebergs and then home again two weeks later.

An Antarctic science or support staff position costs ten times that amount a year and more, not including salary. It's a really expensive place to go to and stay for any length of time. A million yen is earnest money, not anything that could actually fund the sort of trip she wants to take. If nothing else she would need official Government permission to go, landing and staying on Antarctica is restricted by international treaties for very good reasons.

My guess is that there is going to be some kind of Junior Adventurer thing based on a competition or similar, funded by the Japanese government to promote the Shirase's working trip to Antarctica and offering places on board to a few high-school students. The three/four girls spend a number of episodes attempting to win those places and maybe some get on board but not all, drama, surprises, "all for one!", "go without me" etc.

It's intriguing enough and sufficiently well-written I'll keep following it for at least a few more episodes but the Suck Fairy lurks around every corner...