View Single Post
Old 2017-10-01, 15:34   Link #31
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
He did still have the Earth countless times, though, even in the original DB/Z manga series. He may have done it mainly because he just likes to fight stronger and stronger opponents (he's a pureblooded Saiyan, after all), but that doesn't change that he did save the world. And at least part of the reason he did it was because he did genuinely want to save the world. And he does have a pure heart, or else he wouldn't be able to ride Kinto'un or use the Genki Dama.
Exactly, but he still did some pretty questionable things for the sake of battle, like telling Krillin to not kill Vegeta just because he wanted to fight him again (turns out it was a good idea anyways lol) and giving Cell a senzu bean.
Toriyama himself said that Goku, despite having a pure heart, still has a "darker" traits.

Quote:
There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.