View Single Post
Old 2017-01-30, 07:24   Link #82
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And if you consider overseas fans worthless than that makes your argument even more questionable because Macross also thrive on overseas opinions.
You misunderstood or misread me here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
And I'll add here that overseas audiences are worthless counters here because Japan cares little about success overseas.
If Kawamori cared about overseas opinions, a new project legitimately would not be announced for a couple more years because of how negatively received Delta is for overseas fans.
(Also, if they did care, over here we've all been screaming for an official sub release of Frontier with no reply for years.)

It's very normal for Japan or any company to focus on the fanbase within their own country, and sales. Their concern for overseas fans is based on if it'll be worth sending their content in for a country to dub/sub it for release in their native tongue, that's it. Series which fail overseas don't always follow through in Japan; for instance, Guilty Crown has less negativity in Japan than it does overseas and gained an OVA. The OVA did not feature anything new in the area which sold best overseas, a.k.a. soundtrack, but Japan loved it.

The complaint on this isn't always Japan, though; you can attribute it to any country in general. If it fails overseas, they'll be less concerned than if it falls flat on its face in their own country.

Apparently, Delta sold enough within Japan for the Macross franchise to kick off a new TV series (unless other information reveals it's all planned ahead of time, which I'm biased about at this point). Kawamori believes enough in his fanbase in Japan that he has sold enough Blu-rays, albums, and merchandise so he can do a new project. The fact he's not falling on Aquarion, though... like he typically has once completing a new Macross ever since 2002... it's a big sign that Logos has not been received all too good in Japan too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Ditch the Love triangle if it's not necessary for the story.
I don't know about this, because it's a stable piece for Macross each run; however, I'd love for a bit more focus on the Protoculture.

If there is a new alien species, let's focus on it more? Because, honestly, Frontier and Delta failed at really introducing new alien species. Aside from Windermere, Voldor had human-feline hybrids which are glossed over; and culture for their people is not really explained at all. Similar issue in Frontier, albeit less obvious, because Vajra culture is glossed over; eating fold quartz for survival, heart in belly, communicate via fold waves, and Aimo is love song--all good, but this does not tell us how the Vajra live outside of the hive mind or none of their habitat (in the TV series, the Queen lives on a barren rock field and in the movie she is in a crater surrounded by grass? excuse me, "summit" is a better word...).

I'm all for a new alien species as long as it's interesting...

Last edited by HirouKeimou; 2017-01-30 at 07:36.