View Single Post
Old 2017-01-29, 21:32   Link #41
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
They already have one, its called Macross: The Ride. Its a light novel series, but its a prequel to Frontier and predates Build Fighters. They could make a TV series out of that.
- Tak
I only heard about that title. What's it about? Race? Oh, I'd like to see that animated *drool*.

Also, if it's about printed medium that predates GBF, then Plamo-Kyoshiro manga series predates Macross: The Ride about 25+ years .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Oh dear lord no! Anything but that! She already did AKB0048 with Kawamori and it was more than enough
One thing though, Okada delivers with Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (so far). But maybe because she was paired with Tatsuyuki Nagai? Or probably the brutal, pull-no-punches and unforgiving nature of IBO really suits her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
They better have a new antagonist, because the Windermere just wouldn't do, not on a remotely realistic level, unless they landed on some wonder-tech out of sheer luck (again).

- Tak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
In my mind, Kawamori is finally realizing how his Macross franchise is one of the only mecha franchises still running and is finally deciding to challenge Gundam.

Of course, I'm talking about releases and not plot-based material here. Each Macross has always had a long... long wait for a new series while Gundam literally punches out a new series within 1-2 years. Not encouraging Macross into this (hell, I'd dread it); however, I believe Kawamori also admitted (inwardly) that because of Logos, Aquarion is a dead horse at this point, and placing all his eggs in one basket with Macross (his oldest franchise) and reshaping it after the falling of Delta (regardless if its ending half is intentional or not) is kind of important. If he could reshape Macross as a franchise, he could reignite the franchise like Frontier did. And because of their close release dates (Delta could have been the 35th anniversary project), it's also solidifying how I believe he's actively challenging Gundam here for a spot in the "mecha franchise" after its 8-year decline from Frontier...
I'll just respond to both points above:

From non-technological POV, I think having Windermere (humanoid with human-like society and morals) as the main villain is pretty telling how the people behind Delta tried to play in the territory of Mobile Suit Gundam & Space Battleship Yamato. It’s like the Zentraedi are no longer a good villain for them and they want their own Zeon or Gamilas. But the problem was, they half-assed it. That, or Windermere was their best effort in writing “practically-human” villains for a Macross TV series (since the human villains in Zero was there for only five episodes, while Grace and her pals are more like insane megalomaniacal Batman villains in Frontier). Maybe they’ve become too complacent in writing misunderstood non-humanoid alien-villains after Zentradi.

And Macross had this tendency to “forgive” their villains without much of a consequences after doing atrocious things to the Macross humanoid communities which is understandable & excusable if it involved misunderstood aliens (eg. Zentraedi & Vajra) or when the alien villain is much too OP that the protags’ only choice is to make them change their mind and not annihilate the Macros fleet and the galaxy with them (eg. Protodeviln). But applying that to villains like Windermere who are so human-like in civilization, culture, personalities & values is just bad writing imo. Even the villains in one of the worst entry of Gundam (aka. Age) are still more developed and explored than Windermere. The Macross creative team really needs to get their acts together for the next Macross animated series. If they still want to use “practically-human” villains, they need to improve their writing, or just stick with the “misunderstood alien” villains.

What they did with Windermere in Delta is simply not good enough for the mecha fans in general, especially after Gundam & Space Battleship Yamato makes successful comebacks with a vengeance. At one point, Sunrise were even working and releasing four different animated Gundam outings at the same span of period (IBO, Origin, Thunderbolt & GBFT OVA) and they all delivers. Meanwhile, Space Battleship Yamato enjoys their recent success with a great reboot and the second series of that reboot is incoming. In fact, I recommend watching the Yamato 2199 reboot to everyone here who loves the space-battle aspect in Macross and the classic story of Yamato that inspired Macross in the first place. It’s like the Batman Begins of Yamato. When it comes to "human" villains, Windermere and their treatment in the overall conflict pales in comparison to the best recent villains the aforementioned two longtime players had to offer. And I'm not even talking about other good-to-great villains in other non-mecha anime that aired in the same year as Delta.