View Single Post
Old 2016-09-25, 18:13   Link #8
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
I've said this before but overall Re:Zero was the AOTY imo.

Now if I go into details, the story starts as another Isekai generic one without much improvement or unique elements, and this was just by the first episode, but since then re:zero managed to change little by little into something expectacular with nice character development, interesting cliffhangers and what is even more important at least for me, a great story that leaves you with the hype at 1000%.

Subaru is a really good MC who literally shitted on every other generic MC out there just for one thing, the episode where he finally gave up and Rem "saved" him from all this despair. Everyone was thinking how despicable Subaru was all those episodes from arc 1 and arc 2 but suddenly the viewers realized Subaru itself already knew that and he hated himself for that, that's good writting right there. Another thing that makes him a good character is the fact that he's not an overpowered summoned character that can win anything just by moving a single finger, he's powerless, he's weak and he has nothing to gave in exchange, obviously this changed when the time comes but not after a lot of effort and sacrificing his own mental stability to the point that he was broken.

As for the female characters, everyone was gorgeous but for me Emilia and Rem were the best without a doubt, especially Rem who was at his side even when everyone else turned their backs to Subaru leaving him alone. Emilia on the other side is someone who learned how to be happy thanks to Subaru, she was alone and everyone hated her just for her looks (some kind of racism) but at least she was able to find someone who's willing to give his own life to save her, someone who really loves her.

It was a really good ride and for sure one of the best series in the last 2 years, I really hope White Fox keep in their minds the idea of a second season because Re:Zero deserves it.
I disagree on one point. Re:Zero distinguished itself from the generic isekai in the first episode. Guy was transported to another world without any cheats or purpose. The first episode was basically destroying any delusions he had.