View Single Post
Old 2016-09-12, 12:32   Link #929
Jiminy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenox View Post
Can I ask what you guys like about this series? Now please read this with an open mind and know that I'm not trying to start anything. It's just I tried but couldn't get into it. The setting is what originally drew me to it and I love an OP character as much as the next guy, but Tatsuya to me is about as interesting as white bread and his clingy cock-block of a sister is right up there among my most hated characters. Yes I know about the genetics thing but until a couple of volumes ago she didn't but still acted like his wife and I would bet you my left nut that she would most definitely have committed incest. Couple that with the horrible family the main hasn't done much about along with a laundry list of small annoyances and I really can't understand the appeal. Not saying it's bad just that it's not for me but I want to know what others like about it.

Hard to answer. ... I guess I liked the magic system. the combination of magic and science is something you don't really find in other novels. In this world all spells follow a certain logic. that and of course the mysteries behind Tatsuya. Both the characters and the master clans seemed to promise a certain darkness. Anyway that's the answer I would have given you 2 years ago. now ... with every new volume I find it harder to answer your question. romance: other authors did a better job. politics: I often can't follow the actions of the characters and I would describe many of their big moves as petty. I don't expect a complexity like you can find it in martins books but sometimes ... Well anyway it's good enough until the next overlord volume appears.
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote