View Single Post
Old 2016-09-12, 11:47   Link #928
Zeborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenox View Post
Can I ask what you guys like about this series? Now please read this with an open mind and know that I'm not trying to start anything. It's just I tried but couldn't get into it. The setting is what originally drew me to it and I love an OP character as much as the next guy, but Tatsuya to me is about as interesting as white bread and his clingy cock-block of a sister is right up there among my most hated characters. Yes I know about the genetics thing but until a couple of volumes ago she didn't but still acted like his wife and I would bet you my left nut that she would most definitely have committed incest. Couple that with the horrible family the main hasn't done much about along with a laundry list of small annoyances and I really can't understand the appeal. Not saying it's bad just that it's not for me but I want to know what others like about it.
Well as the author says, it's a story about Tatsuya and Miyuki, and their daily lives. What sets the series apart however are the 2 very unique protagonists, and their unusual and probably unhealthily obsessive relationship. I'm sure these are the 2 main reasons the series is as popular as it is.

For me what initially drew me into it was the secrecy behind the both of them and the slow unveiling of Tatsuya's ability, both in terms of combat, as well as his mental framework, and to a lesser extent Miyukis. There's also slow world building, but I keep hoping Satou will do a bit more with it instead of just providing the information. Seems like we're now finally starting to see the pieces move on a global level.
I will say that, if you're reading this series for shipping purposes, and it seems many people are. You will most likely be disappointed. Satou is not a romance writer, and Mahouka is not a romance LN. The relationships are pretty set in stone from the get go and in the case of Tatsuya and Miyuki, there really isn't that much to even develop since as you said, from the beginning she's already acting like a wife. It's better to think of the romance as a side point, but if you need romance and plenty of charged moments in a series Mahouka probably isn't for you.

In general, I would say that if you heavily dislike one of the 2 main characters the charm of the series is most likely lost on you, since basically all of the story moves through them. It's not like, say Overlord, or Mondaji where plenty of side characters are given a lot of screen time.
That's fine though. Not everyone has to like everything I like, or vice versa.
Zeborg is offline   Reply With Quote