View Single Post
Old 2016-09-05, 05:22   Link #54
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yes, Emilia's situation is brutally unfair, in all likelihood. Because that's the important exception to my analogy above - Emilia likely did nothing to cause this, whereas the freedom fighter did in fact take up arms at some point in order to gain his fame/notoriety. It appears that Emilia is wanted and targeted purely due to what she is (a half-elf with silver hair), and not anything that she's done. Nonetheless, the villagers are truly separate 3rd parties in all of this, so while their position is cold/harsh, it does make practical sense.
This is more or less the issue exactly. The villagers, and no doubt a lot of other people, don't hate Emilia and any other half elves if there are any because they're racist. They hate them because they're dangerous. It's wrong to think of this as an issue of racism, because it's not about superiority or inferiority as is true with racism. This is a legitimate concern of security that, as we've seen, absolutely can and probably will result in people dying in no small number. Emilia is fucking dangerous, but sadly that's not her fault. That's the sad reality of being a half elf in this fiction, apparently. You're just a walking time bomb. Though if I were in her position, I wouldn't be hanging around in the sticks and endangering myself and others when I could hang out in the capital where there are hundreds of knights and guards running around, along with a shitton of mercenaries.

It is what it is though.

In retrospect, there was one thing in the beginning of this episode that bugs me a bit. I get that there was likely an intention behind the whole scent barrier thing with Ram, and her anger and her attempting to kidnap Subaru to question him or whatever, but doesn't Julius' presence there kind of immediately dispel her understanding of the situation? Subaru would have to have the tongue of a god to convince Julius to go to war with Roswaal and Emilia, and even then it's a bit of a stretch. Unless there were some details left out in those scenes, it seems like a minor plot hole. Not that it really matters, because obviously nothing was going to come of that Ram cliffhangar from the previous episode anyways.

Those VAs must have had a lot of fun with this episode. My brain trembles just thinking about it.