View Single Post
Old 2016-08-28, 13:57   Link #1123
Tornado The Dragon
A.K.A Big Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Seafoam View Post
A weekly schedule only seems to yield good results (for a story) in the long run if it's already mostly planned out. As much as I like Kubo, I don't think he really planned anything out in advance. In fact, he probably just took it head on weekly like Toriyama did.

Yeah but Toriyama had a great editorial staff. Kubo was constantly having to fight against his. After 15+ years it would get to anyone.

And about taking it a week or a month at a time. I agree. After the ss arc especially that seems to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Man I posted that in the other thread. I didn't know this has already been posted & discussed about. Dang it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
If nothing else, the video definitely puts some perspective behind the editorial influence the jump staff can have on top of painting a rather dreadful picture of how much free time authors actually get. All things considered, I might actually have to throw Kubo a pass on some of the issues I've had along with some of the twists and turns this series has taken over the years. Because if you're running on only 4-5 hours of free time a week, then I could easily see getting so burned out to the point where the process of reflecting back on your work to discover the most simple and yet effective solutions and conclusions to various plots go ignored in favor of whatever just happens to pop into your head at that very moment in time. And because of the unknown level of influence the editorial staff may have, I'd also have to forgive Kubo for not being able to effectively plan ahead. Because I'd imagine doing so could be difficult if the editorial staff insists on you doing something that runs completely contradictory to what you had in store.

Oh well...RIP Bleach. And Kubo, I hope you can finally take a long deserved break.
That 4-5 hours is brutal. But I will have to agree with your sentiments. Well if Kubo is going to continue working for the Japanese comic industry I hope he makes biweekly or monthly chapters. Or get out of the industry & design clothes. They look pretty cool tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
^ yea... no thanks. I was aware of the scheduling, but seeing that chart makes it seem even worse. I'm actually surprised that the weekly mangas turn out as good as they do. For all the problems with Bleach there was a lot of great stuff too. I think monthly releases make more sense. At least on a humane level.
Agreed. Same thing I posted to Sayde. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did in the first place.