View Single Post
Old 2016-08-25, 07:57   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semblance_of_Power View Post
I think that short of NK nuking another country (which I don't think they can do yet? I think they lack the delivery system)
This test suggests that the delivery system is pretty far along. Now it appears the size of the warhead is the sticking point.

Quote:
After its 2013 test and again in 2015, North Korea claimed it had "miniaturised" a device, or made a device small enough to fit a nuclear warhead onto a missile - which the US cast doubt on.

Pyongyang also said the 2013 test had a much greater yield than the devices detonated in previous tests. It was indeed larger in force than previous ones, but monitors failed to detect radioactive isotopes - a key indicator - so uncertainty remains.

Claims of an underground test of a hydrogen bomb in January 2016 were met with plenty of scepticism.

Initial estimates put the blast in the 10 to 15 kiloton range, whereas a full thermonuclear blast would be closer to 100 kilotons.

North Korea again claimed this was a successful test of a miniaturised device, and again it has not been verified.
For a more technical discussion, see this.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote