View Single Post
Old 2016-08-14, 19:52   Link #25
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
That's a terrible analogy.

For starters, cancer gets worse over time, and treatment (which is always a risky business) gets more difficult and more traumatic the longer you leave it. Also, cancer is always terminal if left untreated (and a decent amount of time, even when treated - there is a very good reason cancer prognoses are given in percentage format), there's no such thing as non-terminal cancer.

Also, exactly what cancer treatment requires murdering another person? Is there some newly discovered form of cancer I don't know about, which is entirely non-fatal and where the most effective treatment is human sacrifice? I did a quick google search for 'cancer cured by stabbing another person to death', but I came up bust.

Not to mention, if that was a thing - a form of cancer only curable by murdering someone else - no society or medical organisation in the world would condone performing that treatment. We would do exactly what you just said, and delay the treatment of those patients while we searched for a better cure.

That's not remotely the same situation as the souls, who are not getting older, not getting sicker, never suggested to be suffering or even conscious, and if they are reincarnated, won't remember anything anyway, and who the prescribed way of freeing does actually involve killing someone.
Yea it was a bad analogy, but I feel we're going off tangent. It seems to me, for a lack of better solution you're more willing to maintain the status quo and wash your hands of the responsibility. Rather than view the issue from the outside as an observer without anything to risk, try to see it through the eyes of a Shinigami. Yes in a perfect ideal situation we can deal with hypotheticals of saving hollows after waiting for a future scientist to join the ranks of the Gotei 13, as they have now, to come up with a solution. I just feel a bit annoyed at how the situation just seems to get worse and worse for so many years while hoping a solution will come along when something could be done about it immediately. The longer you wait, the more time potential Adjuchas and above will come into being and more and more people you can't kill because of influx of souls released hurts the balance. That's not to even mention hollows killing each other for reasons besides consuming, damning all those souls that are not purified to being destroyed since a shinigami didn't do the killing. Base hollows are more inclined to eat each other, preserving the souls whereas a cero to the face would destroy the sum total souls of the defeated hollow