View Single Post
Old 2016-06-23, 08:48   Link #94
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Okay, let's back this up, right here.
Is there any evidence that the Ragnan government wasn't consulted or informed? As I understand it, they're autonomous, but still a part of NUG, right? There should be some sort of chain of command of something. War-time decisions and all that. It may not be "right" or "proper" or "nice", but what's to say they weren't (at least) informed, even if off-screen? I don't remember if it was shown or addressed...
Well, the NUNS guy arrived and apparently went straight to Chaos to give Lady M 'courtesy notice' that they were going to blow up the ruins... If he'd gone to see the Rangan government first, I'm sure someone in the Elysion would have known before he came.

So it's heavily implied that they don't even need to notify Ragna. Or do you think they sent another person to give a 'courtesy notice' to the Ragna government as well?

I'll grant that there is another possibility: maybe any planet that wants to set up relations with with NUN and thus gain access to galactic trade etc, has to give up so much of its sovereignty that it has no say in 'military affairs', even if it's about defending itself.

But if that's the case, then I completely get why Windermere wanted out of that treaty, and wanted the NUN government and NUNS out of the cluster.

I mean, it's like:

"Sure, you're welcome to join the galactic system under our direction and rule. We'll provide you the opportunity to trade, to import fantastic technology, and export your produce. But in return, you have to give up any right to defend yourself, and rely instead on our military that's controlled centrally. Oh, and if we deem it necessary, we can just blow up parts of your planet, since you're part of us now."

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes