View Single Post
Old 2016-06-06, 00:52   Link #85
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
It seems sung by Kaname's POV (the singer is saying how the pilot soars the sky fearlessly and isn't going to see their smile again). IIRC, they meant to make the lyrics matching the action and there's literal zero emotional investment when Arad is fighting on the same battle. If she liked him so much, then she would be worried he and the rest of the rookies were getting their ass kicked before Messer appeared. I don't know. It's not dramatic enough if Kaname's feelings are totally platonic. Just like Hayate doesn't scream every Walkure's name when they are in danger, he screams Freyja's name because he's closer to her (not saying that he has romantic feelings for her, he obviously doesn't, but if Kaname was so into Arad, she would have show more open concern about him).

I don't rule out she used to like Arad, but her emotional response to Messer seems a bit beyond platonic. She was crying as she was singing too. With tears dripping down his bracelet-mp3 player.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that her feelings for Messer can't be 'romantic'. But I do find it strange that any time we go beyond 'platonic', everything automatically seems to jump to 'it's gotta be romantic' (as in, the character wanting the relationship with this person to be the one above and beyond every other relationship he or she has. Whilst you don't use the word, the way you've phrased it implies 'feelings of romantic love').

All I'm pointing out is that Messer's final fight can be dramatic and emotionally resonant even if Kaname's feelings for him are not 'romantic' in the 'want to be in an exclusive sexual relationship with you' sense that everyone in the West seems to associate with the word.

To paraphrase Joss Whedon, a relationship between a man and a woman who don't (necessarily) want to sleep together but who are willing to die for each other is incredibly romantic. It also implies that people can have more than one romantic relationship (the male character in the 'romantic relationship' Whedon was talking about was happily married to someone else).

So I can see an incredibly strong bond between Messer and Kaname here; in fact, I'd say it's far more meaningful because it's not primarily about 'romantic love'. And if Reina has read her feelings correctly, I also contend that Kaname doesn't have to have stopped liking Arad (romantically) in order to have such a bond with Messer.

This might be the kind of thing that Kawamori is talking about when he says he wants less focus to be paid to (love) triangles. The triangular relationships in Delta are about far more than just the notion of 'romantic love'. And the same applies to at least one other Macross series, if not more.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-06-06 at 01:03.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote