View Single Post
Old 2016-06-05, 20:39   Link #60
Darthtabby

I made the mistake of checking the general discussion thread this morning and got spoiled for Messer's death, which deprived it of much of its impact. Actually it also deprived his "cavalry to the rescue" moment of much of its impact as well (though him showing up to assist probably wasn't entirely unpredictable even without knowing that he was going to die this episode).

While I don't really feel rage over Messer's death I do feel the show lost some of its more interesting romantic/interpersonal relationships because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I have mixed feelings about Messer's death. I mean it does serve a purpose in the plot, but it's basically the same thing they did in Frontier, and if we go further back in SDF too, so it feels like they're just checking a box in the Macross template. I don't appreciate that. I would have preferred a more original direction.
IIRC, the Macross Frontier version (let's not name names for the sake of franchise newcomers) was originally planned to happen much earlier in the series than it did. I guess for Delta they decided to actually do it early.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote