View Single Post
Old 2016-06-05, 18:10   Link #57
Thess

Messer was among my favorites, and I loved the episode. I don't feel the rage I did
Spoiler for frontier and original show deaths:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
(Frankly, as much as I adore Hayate and Freyja, if the triangle comes to a conclusion during the course of the series I would be surprised - pleasantly, mind, but surprised - if Mirage wasn't the "winner". IMO currently they're building up to the "poor Mirage feels she has no chance, let's feel sorry for her" phase of her romance arc. )
If their goal is to create sympathy, I think they have failed, in my case. I don't feel sympathetic toward some silver spooned good family girl who doesn't get what she wants for once in her life. I don't even like Freyja and Hayate as romantic partners, but I have absolutely zero sympathy for Mirage's "struggle" when the other characters have serious problems and drama. Kaname has issues like Mirage but she does her best and doesn't go on to feel sorry for herself. They need to make Mirage very endearing before I get to feel bad for her. Just like they did with Messer and Kaname. She just feels like the Ranka's pityfest 2.0: she was always acting insecure in her relationship and career (when Sheryl was feeling bad, she had an actual reason that isn't just her feelings). Granted Mirage isn't anywhere near so dramatic, but because she doesn't have 1/4 of Ranka's screentime. Freyja and Hayate struggled to be acknowledged by Messer and Mikumo and set that as a goal (Mikumo was specially hard and harsh with Freyja), and they didn't go second guessing themselves. I saw nothing close as this initiative from Mirage; at best she just went "Aaah" when Hayate told her to show her best to Messer (I don't blame her character, look at the dialogue she's given, it's really bad sometimes). Hopefully they'll rectify that soon. They really should have developed her and her relationship to draw in "sympathy" if that's the goal. Like with Misa when Minmay and Hikaru spent Christmas together or when he was with Minmay when she waited for him for hours with their food. You felt sympathetic with Misa's pain because she was fleshed out and she had a relationship with him she felt like the underdog.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-06-05 at 18:59.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote