Thread: Japanese Events
View Single Post
Old 2016-06-04, 01:33   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Missing Japanese boy found alive in Hokkaido
Quote:
Sapporo, Hokkaido (June 3, Fri): A boy missing in remote woods in Japan since Saturday (May 28), after being left alone by his parents as punishment, has been found alive and well.

Seven-year-old Yamato Tanooka was found in a military training base near Shikabe in Hokkaido, just a few kilometres from where he was left.

He was dressed in only a T-shirt and jeans, in an area where temperatures can dip as low as 9 deg Celsius (48.2 deg Farenheit) at night.

He had appparently been without food since he went missing, but he told police he found a tap from which he drank water.

Doctors at the hospital where he's being treated said he has only minor injuries.

Yamato's parents initially said he had got lost, but eventually admitted briefly abandoning him for throwing stones.

His father has apologised to his son and rescuers, saying "we went too far".

Takayuki Tanooka said: "I deeply apologise to people at his school, people in the rescue operation, and everybody for causing them trouble.

"I have poured all my love into my son, but from now on, I would want to do more, together with him. I would like to protect him while he grows up. Thank you very much."

The case has gripped Japan, sparking discussions about acceptable levels of discipline for children.

Police have said the parents could face charges for negligence.

BBC
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote