View Single Post
Old 2016-05-31, 10:11   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Once again I am loss on Kanames lack of popularity. She is sexy, nice person, intelligent and her voice is at least equal to Mikumo. Her only problems are lack of confidence and rest of galaxy having poor taste. As far as I am concerned among Valkures she is number one and I am sure Messer would agree with me.
This was definitely a great episode for Kaname. Prior to this episode, she needed more consistent focus to fully bring out her character strengths. Thankfully, this episode provided her with that consistent focus. Hopefully her popularity will bump up some with this episode, as it certainly deserves to.

Your compliments of her are deserved. I have two additions to make to them. Firstly, her call to Messer was wonderfully voice-acted. Her fondness for Messer, and her sincere concern for him, came through beautifully. There was also just the right amount of breathlessness to her call to him, showing some nice romantic tension. Secondly, Kaname comes off as very mature and responsible. As a guy over a decade into my adult years, that's something I can definitely appreciate.

On the romance side, Messer/Kaname is now deeply compelling. It all works, and it all works so very naturally and smoothly. Their reasons for liking/loving each other come through very well, with minimal dialogue. In fact, the succinct and short dialogue adds to the charm, as it makes this romance feel more believable and intense given the circumstances surrounding it. It came dangerously close to completely overshadowing the likely start of romance competition between Freyja and Mirage over Hayate (Freyja was clearly disturbed at the idea of Hayate and Mirage being lovers).

All of the above being said, this entire protagonist cast is excellent. One of the most likeable and compelling protagonist casts I've ever seen in anime. They're all such good, reliable people while also not seeming overly cynical or jaded. Messer and Mikumo add just the right amount of edge to this group, but even they seem like they have strong sympathetic stories to tell behind the tall and mysterious exteriors. Well, in Messer's case, we now know that he has such a story to tell.

The tall, dark, and handsome soldier feeling indebted to the sweet soulful songstress that saved his life, and hence constantly repaying her as much as he can, earning her love and affection. He's also a very silent and serious type of guy, so it's a real question if she'll be able to bring him out of his shell. It's a great story! Makes for a very strong subplot for this show.

As for the main plot? Episode 9 also did that pretty well.