View Single Post
Old 2016-04-06, 00:13   Link #97
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Strange... I liked the preview airing significantly more than this Episode 1.

Things felt a little more rushed to me here than they did in the preview airing. And Freyja seemed more compelling and impressive to me in the preview airing.

It's still a good episode, but it certainly pales in comparison to how I felt about the preview airing.

It's hard to say what specifically accounts for the difference. I vaguely recall Freyja getting a cleaner moment of decisive victory in the preview episode, and I also recall Walkure as a whole seeming more impressive. It seems to me like this actual Episode 1 took away some highlight moments from the major female characters in order to give us more mecha action dominated by the major male characters. Am I just not remembering correctly here, or has there in fact been significant content changes made between the preview airing and this Episode 1?
The only content cuts I've seen after watching both versions of the episode were:

1. The scene in space where Freyja looks out a window and sees Al-Shahal outside before she takes a bite out of her apple.
2. Some small scene cuts at the dock, such as Hayate putting down the freight container Freyja was in, some miscellaneous mechanical shots. Said scenes had no dialogue relevant to characterization, and thus cutting them out makes no difference whatsoever.
3. There's a scene in Al-Shahal City where Freyja is still running from her pursuers in a crowd, when she hears a "rainbow-colored song", which was being hummed by Mikumo nearby before the latter makes her report. This scene was also cut. A short 1-second scene involving a drone electrifying its taser was also cut.
4. The longest scene cut from the episode was Delta Squadron performing their "Walkure Wing" formation, which simply involved a flyby where Mirage launches flares that put holograms on buildings. This follows into Maki and Reina using drones to protect civilians against a missile barrage, and then having Mirage recharge the drones using her VF's remote recharging system. While the loss of showing some technical details is regrettable in the TV version, it didn't really affect the action's flow much.

Otherwise, they didn't cut anything much when it came to Freyja's characterization, and the scenes relevant to Walkure's performance weren't too adversely affected - all of Mikumo's action is intact for one.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2016-04-06 at 00:37.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote