View Single Post
Old 2016-04-05, 22:33   Link #93
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonSquared View Post
As I was watching the first episode I kept thinking, “This is Macross! THIS is Macross!” What is Macross exactly? Macross is music saving the world. Did Macross Delta have music save the world? Yup! Crazy mind-warped zentradi being calmed by music is what the core of what Macross is. When that one magical girl techno-mind pushed music into the brain of that the berserk zertradi to calm him down and the zentradi goes ,"Oh! deculture!" YES! THIS IS MACROSS! I was really glad that Delta got it right where some of the other Macross series didn’t. Music is not just a part of what makes Macross what it is. It is not there to be used in the background as dramatic score. It is not something to be used as a prop. Macorss uses music as mankind’s most powerful weapon. Delta, indeed, got it right.
Except it was not music that saved the earth, Zentran firepower did it.
The Zentrans themselves pointed it out, its not the song that surprised them, its the act singing itself. For a species that only knows war, the concept is completely alien to them. Heck once they got over the fact that humans have culture they went right back to stomping us flat.

Mankinds most powerful weapon is it's years of cultivated culture...alongside the big a$$ cannon mounted on the Battle ships.

Quote:
Did anyone else notice the parallel between the first episodes of Macross and Macross Delta? In the first episode of Macross an untrained Valkyrie pilot is forced into a Valkyrie and winds up saving a girl from certain death who will soon become an idol and mankind’s most powerful weapon. In the first episode of Macross Delta an untrained Valkyrie pilot commandeers a Valkyrie to save a girl who from certain death who is soon to become a magical girl idol and mankind’s most powerful weapon. What a throwback to the original series. I am digging where things are going.
Argh, Hikaru is not an 'untrained Valkyrie pilot' he is an aerobic flier he is hardly untrained, he can handle a Valk in fighter mode and to some extent gerwalk mode , at that time what he doesn't have is combat training and know-how in handling battroid mode.

Hayate is a civilian pilot of a Destroid. He performed really well in battroid mode but got shot down before we could what he could do in gerwalk.

My point is, its more contrast than parallel. Alto parallels Hikaru more than Hayate.

Quote:
And then we get to Walküre. So I am watching the episode and all is going swimmingly until there is a magical girl sequence. "WHAT - THE - HELL - IS - THIS?!?!" I thought. By the end of the episode I was kind of getting on board with the whole thing. What would the logical progression from Minmay be? Sharon Apple? That didn't work out so well. So why not a whole group of decultrue idols? The whole transforming thing I could live with out but I liked how they took the deculture to the battlefield and beat the zentradi over the head with it. Pared with their support Valkyries they make a pretty effective zentradi calming team. Again, music is a weapon, not a prop.

Overall I give the first episode a 9/10. I have watched the second half of the episode four times now and I like it more each time I see it. I might just be a Macross fanboy but I am proudly a Macross fanboy.
Music-Songs were almost always used as way of communication, a bridge between two species and in the case of Plus the connection between the three main leads. It was never a weapon, heck the only time it was used as such, was in Macross 7 and even then only against a specific enemy.

The logical progression of Minmay was Sheryl, while Walkure is for Basara.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote