View Single Post
Old 2016-04-04, 02:43   Link #33
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Did people who didn't see the preview cut catch that Freyja is a Winderemeran? I think the preview cut's choice of end point may have emphasized that bit a little better. Though I guess this cut emphasized that she has special power even if what she is may be easy to miss.
It's there, Hayate mentions it when she starts singing and running toward the Walkures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I don't think this is quite as good a "gateway" Macross as Frontier. As someone who has seen previous Macross series I can largely take Walkure's flashy performance on the battlefield in stride but I think it might be too much too fast for a lot of franchise newcomers. Heck, even as a fan of previous Macross series I feel this is pushing it a little even if it is a (semi) logical extension of things the franchise has done previously. Newcomers might also have benefited from a bit more explanation about Macross history and the Zentraedi.
I don't think it's particularly difficult to get into. Macross series in general are pretty good at making the basic setting easy to understand. In this case, humans in space, planets colonized, strange "epidemic" where people go crazy, MAGICAL GIRL IDOLS AND FLASHY MECHA TO THE RESCUE, also some random pretty boy squad out of nowhere but we'll get back to that later. Obviously if someone expects realistic fights they're going to be surprised, but I don't think Macross was ever about realistic fights, really.

(Then again, my gateway Macross series was Macross 7, so my perspective is probably skewed. )

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2016-04-04 at 03:22.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote