View Single Post
Old 2016-04-02, 15:12   Link #28
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Marathoned the series in 4 days, one cour per.

Let's start off with the good stuff: this started out as SoL with a touch of supernatural and ended up being full-scale gang wars and monster mash, so there has definitely been a lot of development (or at the very least changes) in Ikebukuro as a whole. The characters are easy to remember, either by their appearance or their actions and the plot is actually pretty interesting, when you take into consideration how small everything that happened truly was.

Anri takes the cake for most normal female character in the series (Tom takes the respective male one). By the time the third cour was over, I was 100% certain that every single character in DRRR!! was infected with some kind of madness. Let's take a look at this:

Spoiler for Character list & evaluation:

And now for the bad stuff...

First of all, pens in this series are bloody sharp! Seiji stabbed Shizuo and caused intense bleeding on his legs, Mikado actually pierced Aoba's entire palm with one. Are they made of vibranium?

As much as I enjoy Kuzuhara Kinnosuke as a character...he spends most of his time chasing a shadow monster because its shape-shifting ride has no license plates and lights. Comical? Most certainly. Crazy? Hell yeah. I don't remember if he ever asked for Celty's I.D.

The dragon zombie gang was entirely useless. They could have remained outside of the series with absolutely nothing changing. Same goes for Mikado's final rally that only managed to block the streets. Where did all those bikers go afterwards, what did they do? Who the hell cares? We should though, it was portrayed as a "big move".

The ever so useful chat room became obsolete when everyone learned of each other's alias. People even entered the chat room when they were side by side (Mairu & Kururi, also Masaomi & Saki...and Izaya & Izaya with his double account).

Ruri didn't get proper closure. I really didn't like how her plot was handled...in the end, was Kasane the source of her misery, since she was controlling the Yadogiris? Why, to what goal? Why did Kasane want to sell monsters sooo much, when she could make an infinite amount of cash via possession? Why did the last few episodes focus so much on her nonexistent love life? I liked her as a character, but her plot felt, like Ruri's, half-baked.

Despite all that, it was a good run and I suppose it's safe to assume there will be more of this sooner or later. Overall rating so far: 8.5/10