View Single Post
Old 2016-03-01, 05:37   Link #1964
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

@Heir of the Void:

The underbarrel 120mm is a smoothbore gun so that you can use sabot ammo on the Tanks. It's implied that it's the same 120mm sabot shells used in the Rheinmetall 120mm tank gun that basically became NATO standard. Standardisation of ammo yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentranum View Post
Also, where did a bulk of the East and West German civilian populations go? I read TSFiA #39 and can't help but think about that. I know that even to that day the two Germanies are still somewhat separated (I read somewhere that the NVA still use Soviet derivatives) though I wonder if there's more info on that. If only I can read Japanese. OTL
Basically, pretty much everyone in Europe was evacuated to Britain. The UK is now playing host to the EU (albeit the French have their own place somewhere, bugger if I can remember). The Adoration sidestory takes place at Dover, where the 44th "Cerberus" Battalion is based, and they're a West German unit.

Quote:
Also, how viable is say, a single-file approach when it comes to say, trying to break through an entire mass of BETA? If you can count on the front being a very skilled Gunsweeper and the sides are kept safe by the members of the conga line, is it viable? All I see are Chevron formations in what I am watching, though I feel the idea in this is to conserve the ammunition of the unit as a whole by forcing alot more bullets to be spent on the front-runner, who would be armed similar to a Storm Vanguard. Or is there a more effective approach that minimizes contact possibilities within the squad?
Single file does jack and shit all because you are relying on a single TSF in the front to keep the way clear. Chevron and arrowhead have the advantages of having more guns in the fight covering a larger frontage; if you tried advancing single file the BETA could encircle you and attack you with overwhelming force all along your file (which happened on a macro scale in Operation Market Garden in WW2).

As for Extra/Alternative, there's very little known about what's going on in Southeast Asia. What we do know is as follows:

- The ASEAN nations have created COSEAN, the Consolidation of South East Asian Nations and apparently have a joint command structure.
- The BETA are currently being stalemated at South Thailand, which is a more or less natural chokepoint. No word on the state of the west Malaysian peninsula.
- Indonesia is so far untouched.
- Brunei is untouched. Presumably they're supplying fuel to COSEAN and the Strayans.
- Vietnam is completely overrun, and the USN rotates carrier groupsat Yankee Station to mount periodic raids into Vietnam to keep the BETA from achieving breakout. RAN and Phillipine Navy assets are also assisting there.
- As of September 2001, COSEAN had selected the F-18E Super Hornet to be the TSF it would consolidate around, and maintained Garuda Test Flight at Project Prominence, flying the F-18E.

@Heir of the Void: another issue with regard to distracting lasers, btw. Trying to distract lasers with arty is a losing proposition. Lasers basically mean that a Warsaw Pact-style artillery battalion can till that battalion runs out of ammo, and the Lasers will have intercepted damn near all of their rounds.

For context, a WarPac arty battalion is on the order of 57 guns.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote