View Single Post
Old 2015-09-26, 23:12   Link #3
Syndiciate

As a big fan of history and comedy alike I absolutely adore the Hetalia franchise. The first series in the franchise is titled Hetalia: Axis Powers ( AP ), an adaption by Studio Deen of the beloved webcomic made by Hidekazu Himaruya. The franchise personifies the nations of the world and puts them into various situations where the nations interact with each other. Sometimes these situations are actual historical events and other times they're seemingly random meetups by various nations.

I enjoyed this franchise and continue to enjoy it for multiple reasons, the first being how absolutely hilarious it is. No knowledge of history is needed to watch and enjoy the show but if you are moderately well versed in historical events the humor in the show is multiplied astronomically. Different character connections can be made based on your knowledge of history that you might not have been able to identify or connect without said knowledge. Aside from its seamless blending of comedic and historical elements it also has plenty of characters you can ship together if that's something you're into as there is a large preexisting fanbase for that sort of thing.

I've watched and read all of Hetalia up to it's current point and I don't regret a single moment of it. This series is extremely unique and I have nothing to currently compare it to at this current time though it's occasional political commentary might be reminiscent of political satire shows though with a much lighter bent. Something to note when watching the series is that the two shows after H: AP and Hetalia: World Series ( WS ), Hetalia: The Beautiful World ( TBW ) and Hetalia: The World Twinkle ( TWT ) underwent a massive change in their animation style which I and a few others were not a fan of. The new animation is much shinier and more polished but lacks the distinctive and original style Hetalia: AP and WS possessed.

It should also be noted that the dub for the latter 2 seasons is currently being made and is not yet available for either Hetalia: TBW or TWT. This is particularly relevant as most fans consider Hetalia's dub to be superior to its sub something rarely found in anime. This is most likely due to the nation's personification having the distinct stereotypical accents that many American's and other English speaking viewers believe citizens of these nations to possess. As such most English speaking viewers enjoy getting to hear these accents in their own language. I also believe that the episodes in the latter 2 seasons and the overarching story line is not as entertaining as the ones shown in the first 2 seasons. They are still enjoyable however and deserve a recommendation along with AP and WS. Hetalia as a whole is one of the best comedy/historical franchises I've seen to date and should be watched by fans of history and comedy alike.

Last edited by Syndiciate; 2015-09-27 at 11:48.
Syndiciate is offline   Reply With Quote