View Single Post
Old 2015-03-19, 10:09   Link #100
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Japanese lost basically all their carriers. I think one was still around at the end, but there were no pilots for what planes were left, and no fuel to fly anyway.
An interesting point about oil. After the loss of the Philippines, the navy had 2 choices for the ships, stay in south where the oil is and suffer the lack of manpower and ammo, which was manufactured in Japan. Or return to Japan for ammo and suffer the lack of fuel since they had none in their north asia holdings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
I don't have much knowledge on this, but I think unlike the quagmire in China resistance in the newly conquered areas wasn't all too significant for most of the war. In the Dutch East Indies for example Sukarno, who would become the first president of Indonesia, worked with the Japanese to the very end. In Burma people like Aung San supported the Japanese in the first couple of years, before becoming disillusioned with Japanese promises, in addition to the changing fortunes of the war.
Speaking of working with the Japanese, they actually raised an Indian army in Singapore in the hopes of getting India to rebel against British rule. Didn't work too well I think.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote