View Single Post
Old 2015-03-10, 16:10   Link #40
Kafriel
Senior Guest

From what I make of it...empathions are converted memories from dead terrans, which also makes it the pure exp penalty that one receives upon death. In that sense, harvesters would be assassins and their goal would be to basically forge a cycle of death and grinding for high-level adventurers (because if you die TOO much you run out of memories to lose...and in game terms, you have 0% exp of a level - they'd also go for the high levels because the exp curve is always exponential so, say, a 10% of a required LV exp is much higher at 90+ than it is at 85+). Do note that the genius monsters were in the seventies range, so they make for decent farming bots...but according to the letter Shiroe got, they shouldn't be harvesting on earth if the adventurers have rights to the planet's resources.

To back this up a bit, the moon has no monsters as a reincarnation temp server and thus, no way to gain exp...unless someone took a magic bag full of exp pots and chugged in the afterlife, but that would be counterproductive.

About the Navi: Roe2 said they live on the moon, so that makes them aliens to terrans. My train of thought on the empathion is flawed in one part: the memories that adventurers lose are those of the real world, so at one point they would merge with their in-game persona, having no actual memories left...at which point they shouldn't be able to produce any more empathion, having a conscience that only remembers of Elder Tale.

This, however, begs the question: what the heck is empathion used for? If the navigators are another form of A.I., they could have been programmed to defragment the adventurers' mixed memories and send them where they...iunno, should be in the first place? Maybe that way, the game world would also go back to normal.

Anyway, there is a LOT of explaining to do on the main plot of this story, with the final pieces coming together if Shiroe finds records of the Alv and realizes the magic behind world fractions...so, until then, speculation tea party for everyone!