View Single Post
Old 2015-02-15, 19:39   Link #30
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

This would have been a great episode if it didn't come after many, many episodes of sheer time-wasting. And in itself it is half an episode.

I understand the context, the feelings, the development, I really do -- with the exception of the intentionally mysterious Roe2 -- but I don't feel half of it because, and I can't believe I'm saying this about Log Horizon, people talk too much. I understand the relevation about the knights' reckless actions. I intellectually sympathize with Touya's outburst, his background and his emotions, but all I could feel was me wanting to tell him and the rest of the kids, I don't care, get a move on and do something useful plox.

Talking a lot used to be the series' strength. Talking and/or flashbacks significantly enriches this series' wide cast with depth and agency. I'm sure it continues to be a strength in the novels. But while speech was action in the previous season, here it does not mix well with slow panning, people taking their time standing around with no movement, cheaply emotional music, Isuzu being forced to repeat her song the zillionth time. There are wyverns all over town. Why is it taking a whole episode to not even confront the things?

It's taking its time like its Naruto or other outstays-its-welcome absurdly long shounen stories that need to conserve budget at any cost. I hate those. I. hate. those. I don't want to hate this series. Deen, stahp.