View Single Post
Old 2015-02-06, 13:05   Link #40
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROzess View Post
I think the game localisation is the worst in that regard. I have played various games with the original Japanese sound, but the subtitles sometimes told an entirely different tale. Especially for common phrases or battle shouts. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese anymore. Well, I ain't saying this is a bad thing, translating means to ADOPT the meaning in a different language, not to replace it word-by-word.
Still, its pretty creepy when the stuff you hear is different from what you read.

For what matter, I would say the phrase "nani kore!?" implies more high impact in Japanese, exspeciallywith the right tone. A simple "what's this?" might not convey it, even less when it's just in text-form. So adding something like "holy moe kyun kyun" can be legit, imo. Questionable though, if it was actually the perfect phrase for that. I admit it sounds pretty retarded^^
Yup, agree with this. But sometimes, the translator feels really good about that really 'novel' stuff he comes up with, gets carried away and goes bankai with that. It could become a dangerous addiction.
But rather than creepy, I guess I'd feel kind of entertained if the whole work is loaded with such liberalizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
I don't think it deviates "greatly" like, nani kore is a generic expression of surprise/bewilderment, holy moe maid waifu ?!whatever is an expression of surprise/bewilderment, it's just a bit more original, except it goes along the tone of the game, which frequently breaks the fourth wall and makes fun of itself. I don't think the translator changed the meaning or the intent there, just added some spice. :P
Well, if in the context of the game, the protag keeps breaking the 4th wall then still fine. But there's a line to draw in liberalization. If it's just emphasizing the exclamatory factor of 'nani kore' here, I'd just use "WOOOAAHH, what's going on here!?", and many other ways to do it. I think there might be too much of a personal feel injected by the translator here. Doing it too often and in a too liberal manner can create a habit, and an addiction like I mentioned, and lead to over-deviation from original artistic intent (not just literal meaning of text). But hey, who knows, I've never played the game before so can't really judge, maybe it was really appropriate in this context