View Single Post
Old 2015-01-27, 00:00   Link #110
Darthtabby

Episode 17: "Deceitful Lips"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Magazine Interview with Masakazu Ohara
We once again see how each of the main characters reacts to the truth of what it means to be a HiME. I always tried to emphasize that the point of the fight wasn’t to dwell on the actual combat, but to explore the characters.
The second sentence of that quote seems more relevant to some of the other episodes in the series than this one (since this episode had virtually no action scenes). The first sentence is pretty on the money though, as a fair bit of this episode is spent covering how the different HiME react to the bombshell Nagi dropped on them.

This is a rather slow "calm before the storm" episode, but there's actually quite a bit going on. If you're familiar with all the stuff that happens in the coming episodes you can see quite a bit of groundwork being laid.

I'd mentioned previously how I think Tate overlooks how he actually can help Mai. In Episode Five, he became someone she could open up to about her problems. Now he's all wrapped up in taking care of Shiho and he's starting to talk like the people who -while well meaning- just ended up putting more pressure on her (though at least he didn't say "I'll be rooting for you" ). While I can understand why he's behaving the way he is -he feels useless and guilty for what happened to Shiho- its not great timing on his part.

There isn't a ton of humor in this episode, but I did find the scene with Mai tripping on a stray tennis ball pretty funny. Though I think it's actually the aftermath of that scene I found so funny. She looks like she wants to die of embarassment as she's walking along besides Reito. Shizuru's teasing Takeda when he comes by looking for Tate is also pretty funny.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote