View Single Post
Old 2015-01-13, 09:45   Link #69
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Everybody keeps saying the staff made a mistake with the early part of SHIELD. I say the way they handled it was entirely intentional. Admit it, it was a real bombshell to see SHIELD fall apart like that before even the first season was over, and the way they made everything seem normal before it compounded the impact of the revelation. Everybody says it was only firing on all cylinders after the Thor 2 crossover, but I say it was all an elaborate plan; start off the series like it's an "average" spy agency show and lure them into that thought. Then comes the turn with CA 2 and everything takes off, effectively making the series even better than if they had started off with the bombshell.
Well of course it was intentional, but it was also uninteresting and mostly unappealing which is never a good strategy for getting return viewers. There were maybe 3 episodes in the first 15 that were any good (and no, I never thought there was an uptick in quality after Thor 2 was released), otherwise the series was fairly banal and lacking in any interesting characters or development. It was either episodes that set-up the eventual reveal found in Captain America 2 or episodes that seemed to merely stagnate in place offering little (and there were far more of the later rather than the former). Sadly, the staff made the mistake of letting the film universe dictate the television universe. Thankfully, season two has course corrected itself, and has even gotten to the point were it seems to be potentially influencing the movie universe (or at least adequately establishing framework for the movie universe).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote