View Single Post
Old 2014-07-28, 11:51   Link #94
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Is Endymion a retcon though?
It is because we should have been able to see it/having it mentionned to be under construction.
Quote:
I don't think that'll be true if it does have an effect on the main plot later...
If. As of now, all evidence points towards that it doesn't.
Quote:
Just to be clear on this, is a retcon when you add something in later that you didn't plan in advance even if it is done well? Or is it necessarily negative? I'll be willing to agree that it is a retcon if I don't have to agree that this makes it bad or unenjoyable in any way...
It's mostly a bad thing because it means a story have no longer a consistent continuity. If it is a retcon where the author rectifies an ealier error, then it is good for the sake of the narrative, but means the author has no real control on his own story (you could litterally consider earlier books noncanon). If it is to add a previously unknown adventure, it is generally for the sake of sellin
some more to the fanbase.

I have no problem with Endymion if taken in itself, as an independant story, but if framed into the story timeline, it is just ugly. And no, nods to it don't count as making it look better.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote