View Single Post
Old 2014-07-23, 14:57   Link #93
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTIA View Post
The problem isn't just that people aren't paying attention. It's that the way the information is relayed is through the dialog of one individual (Tatsuya Shiba), who has a vested interest in hiding his abilities. Throughout the series, Tatsuya regularly claims to not have substantial abilities or downplays his abilities and then latter demonstrates that he either does have said abilities or has effective work arounds that render his previous statements dubious or even outright false.

In the absence of an objective narrative voice, the audience is left only with Tatsuya's own deliberately muddled descriptions of his own powers. This obfuscation gives the audience the impression that Tatsuya has no meaningful limitations on his powers, as he seemingly produces powers at whim to solve whatever issue crops up.
I agree, but I'd say magic in general, rather than just Tatsuya's, has no meaningful limitation. I mean, yes, people have limits, but why? What is the "meaning" of those limits?

George's invisible bullet is a line of sight spell. Why?

Why is Miyuki's Nifflheim so impressively difficult, while other spells (like, I don't know, Hattori's gas ball) aren't?

Why is Mine Genesis a family magic, and what does it mean for other people who want to imitate it?

All we have are ad hoc pronouncements that ultimately mean very little. Info dumps are just a lot of minutia that doesn't do much to paint the big picture of how magic works beyond the role of CADs.