View Single Post
Old 2014-07-22, 14:47   Link #80
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTIA View Post
I'm beginning to feel that the one major mistake of this adaptation is that Tatsuya's powers and limitations weren't in some way spelled out from the get-go. His powers and their limitations are all pretty well spelled out in the light novels, but whenever I read anime-only threads it seems a lot of people seem to feel the author's inventing powers for him on the fly so he always on top. I know that's absolutely not the case, but I can see how someone who is only watching the anime may get that impression by the way Tatsuya's abilities go unmentioned in the anime until he needs to use them.
Actually, I don't think you are correct, at least in terms of this episode. The self-restoration ability was shown in episode 3, while the basics for flash casting (the bypassing of the activation sequence) was described in episode 5. As long as the viewer pays attention and keeps them in mind he won't get all surprised by what happened in this episode. And if he didn't pay attention or forgot about it ... spelling it any clearer won't achieve any desired effect, unless it is shown that clearly that it robs much of the potential for development. Who wants to see a character that is basically finished at the start of the show?