View Single Post
Old 2014-05-31, 18:02   Link #64
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
It's an issue that's built around homonyms - it's the Japanese '4' that people have problems with, because the pronunciation "shi" is the same as the pronunciation for 'death'.

Hence, they won't have a problem with the English word 'Four'.

(And Japanese (and Chinese) people probably have a much higher sensitivity to superstition than secular people in the West, if only because there are quite a few occasions where we actively avoid using '4'. For example, we avoid giving money at weddings / New Year that in sums that have the digit '4' in it (we try to give money in sums using the number '8' instead). Apparently, there are even buildings in Japan that skip the fourth level because of this. Comparison for English might be the number 13.

So yes, a valid argument for the world of Mahouka, whether you like it or not.)
In that case, they're the "Yotsu"ba, not "Shi"ba.

And even if some people will refuse to work for them on that basis, I doubt they'll have real trouble finding good people.

Quote:
But if Tatsuya's the super genius, why do they treat him like crap?
... Are you doubting he's a super genius?

The "why" is complex and more than a bit spoilerific. Not really germane anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

Though personally, I reckon that a more important reason that they'd have difficulty replacing this butler is the issue of trust. Given the secrecy that envelops the house, how easy can it be to find someone that they can trust with their secrets?
They can promote a subordinate butler. They've got to have reserves. Redundancy.

My point about young graduates wasn't that they could replace the man immediately... but that they were the raw material from which a new butler could be made.

Or heck, now that I think of it - maybe that butler comes from a subordinate family... from which other butlers could be extracted, at need.