View Single Post
Old 2014-04-11, 00:39   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Tatsuya, to me, is the culmination of what it's meant to be a magician in their society.
Which is funny, because those who made him barely consider him a magician.

Quote:
Simply put, an effective weapon. How and why he got there isn't of any particular interest to those who make use of him. Isn't that why the Yotsuba were even able to go that far in trying to make him a better magician. Of course, that's what I personally got from the novels, therefore he wouldn't be a character whose OPness would bother me. However, I can also see how him being seemingly "overspecced" can bother other people.

And I meant "justified by the plot" in the sense that he was written with a specific set of powers that advance the idea of magicians=weapons and how they could get there.
I don't think it was necessary or even beneficial (to the story) to make him such an atypical mage just to show that magicians are weapons. Really, it detracts from that message.

Quote:
The example you gave could also make for an interesting plot depending on how it's written. A character who's strength is justified by the plot doesn't give the author a free pass in the actual writing of the story so maybe it is the way the author went about the writing of Tatsuya's strength that leaves you unsatisfied?
It's more about the presentation than the OPness itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
By danger what do you mean exactly?
As in "wow, he might really die this time (plot armor notwithstanding)".

Quote:
At the beginning his opponents were just not at his level.
Which is a bit of a problem, since we've already tapped into the "best in the world" categories (that Chinese guy who's one of top close quarter combatants, and Lina who's the best USNA magician, as well as their go-to girl for anti-magician missions). And we still haven't seen anyone "at his level".

Quote:
You consider his last fight against Lina not dangerous?
Not really. The feeling I had was that he still had a lot under the hood, and that any difficulty him holding back to not kill her than him being truly cornered.

Quote:
He has the level of his master but it is because he trained for years, there are the fruits of his hard work and despite this, he never won against him in martial arts.
"He trained for years" is a poor excuse. Lots of kids start martial arts early. How many 15 years old do you see competing against adults in world championships? Zero, that's how many. And he already completely dominated soldiers at 13.

Quote:
Of course that's not normal. He is a genius, geniuses are geniuses because they are above normal people. He is able to do all this because he has a genius intellect, there are geniuses in our world too.
Not to this point. It's as if Einstein discovered Relativity in high school. While keeping a full time job in addition to his school work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Well i was just thinking that isnt it weird that Erika is a course 2 student?
I know Leo will always be one hes a fortress series and a bs mage but Erika isnt supposed to be a BS mage and if we are talking about genetics Erika should be superior to Shizuku due to Shizuku's mom is the only magician while his father is a bussiness man. Chiba's one of the strongest swordsman clan in japan and most likely the world. And she has genes of a direct decendant of Rozen who is famous around the world for their invention of cad and probably they have enough magic ability according to Tatsuya someone must be adept to magic to be a great engineer.
Well Erika maybe on genius level in sword due to her being the only one who can use Yamatsunami. And only been practecing the sword for only 3 years since the start of the series.

The only thing i can think about is that Satou-sensei have something in mind putting her in course 2 or is he trolling?
Btw Erika is part of the top 20 in theory exams.

Edit: wrong grammar.
Genetics aren't that straightforward. Just like you can get great magicians out of obscure lineages (like Mari), it's possible for famous families to produce duds. Which Erica isn't, precisely.

But the thing is, Course 1 students are tested for basic specs, and Erica's apparently aren't that good. It's like, they're trying to sort student-athlete, but they test things like muscle tone and lung capacity. Erica's a great soccer player thanks to her excellent ball control, but her tested capacities are bad.

Also, what the school wants are generalists who can play lots of sports, but Erica's only really good at soccer.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2014-04-11 at 00:58.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote