View Single Post
Old 2014-04-10, 15:45   Link #26
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
I only started SAO LN recently but I don't see why you consider Tatsuya has no problem and is not a fleshed out character. He is fighting precisely because he wants to keep his normal life, the life he leads is not even the one he wanted.
... "fighting". Whereas others need the cavalry, some miracle, or impressive cleverness to survive, the closest he's come to difficulty is needing to reveal he's not left-handed. And he hasn't yet. Not really.

Quote:
You may be irked by the fact that he didn't lose but that doesn't make him a wish fulfillment character. You can like a character because he is cool, that's common, if you think all cool characters are WF characters then I agree with you.

What really is a WF character anyway?
It's not just about his victories or coolness. It's about how the author is trying to push him on us as cool. It's about his completely overspecced existence. (He's a student, a soldier in some secret battalion, a rich inventor. All that before entering high school. Where does he find the time?) Usain Bolt may be the best sprinter in the world (or is it someone else now?), but it's not like he's all that much faster than second best. Or tenth best. Tatsuya's the kind of guy who'd run the 100m in 5 seconds while everyone else in the world is stuck at almost 10.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote