View Single Post
Old 2014-04-10, 14:27   Link #16
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

On request, I'll elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They're both wish-fulfillment characters. Kirito's wish is "I wish I was unbeatable in video games and that such skill made me popular". Tatsuya's... well, I suppose saying what wish he is would be hinting at future developments.
To be clear: I don't think they're similar at all. But they're both wish fulfillment. Tatsuya's wish is "I wish I was awesome and that nobody could hurt me. And that it made me popular".

The awesome part is, I think, self-evident. Even his so-called "weakness" with conventional magic is neatly circumvented by his Flash Cast ability, which is even better than normal CAD use.

The "hurt" is a bit more interesting. He can be temporarily damaged physically, but he'll just regenerate, as good as new. But mostly, it's about pain: with his emotions amputated, he can't be emotionally hurt, and even physical pain loses its real edge. He's said to pay a terrible price when he restores others... but without emotions, he feels no apprehension, and even the memory of pain is merely unpleasant. Just information, instead of a part of his being.

It's not even a new desire: a lot of characters are The Stoic. Usually all it takes is some traumatic event or unconventional childhood, not brainwashing, but that's unimportant.

As for the popularity - it's different from SAO. What did Kirito get? A beautiful wife and a cute daughter. And enough admirers to flatter his ego. What did Tatsuya get? Completely subservient women. Fortunately Mayumi and Lina were there to balance things out a bit, but Miyuki, Honoka and Pixie?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote